Monday, April 7, 2008

Tallinn and Riga




This weekend we went to Tallinn, Estonia and Riga, Latvia. It was a really wonderful trip. There wasn't an overload of things planned for us to do and see and experience, so we were able to just BE which was really quite healthy.

On Friday we had a walking tour of Old Town Tallinn which was simply lovely. The sky was an iridescent blue and there was not a cloud in the sky. The sun tried to fool us into thinking it was warm, but a brisk wind kept our jackets zippe
d all the way up. Still, the air was joyful and fresh and we had a great time of it.

(A Russian Orthodox church built in 1900)

Thankfully our guide was very laid back and patient with us--after being on a bus for 10 hours overnight everybody was a bit stir crazy and our attention spans were super short. Even I only wrote 3 small pages of notes on the tour!! (that's not a lot)

In the evening we were able to go to a restaurant called Olde Hansa where we enjoyed a Medieval Feast. There was sausage made out of bear, elk and wild boar!

In the evening I went for a walk with a few people down to the water of the Baltic Sea, walked around the city of Tallinn and had a really great time.

On Saturday we had a little more time to explore on our own before heading to Riga, Latvia. In Riga we had an evening to hang out, eat dinner, etc. and then go to sleep. The next day half of the group went to a Russian Orthodox church and the other (my half) went to an English speaking Anglican church. It was a really wonderful service. I enjoyed the familiar liturgy (not to mention the language!) there was also a women's gospel choir there, which was a lot of fun.

Right after church we went to the Occupation Museum. Although it was focused on Latvia's occupation, it really gave the history of all of the Baltic States during the Nazi and Soviet Occupations. What a horrendous time in world history--a time the Western World barely recognizes in our history books. 550,000 people disappeared without a trace from Latvia--whether it was instantly killed, sent to Siberia or fled to foreign places. I have so many facts I could share, but I don't have time right now. All I can say, is I wish I would have learned this before. I am ashamed that I knew nothing of the injustices being done in this part of the world. It really helps me understand this culture even more.

We spent a little more time in town, and then drove to this HUGE restaurant called LIDO. It has this humongous buffet...but it's classy, not like Old Country Buffet or something. You pay per thing you take. And there is SO much food...and it's all very wonderful and colorful. I felt so so rich.

Earlier on Sunday I was looking at some beautiful hand-knit mittens this old lady (without any teeth) was trying to sell me. I told her I didn't have any money (only about 3 Lats, which is $6). She asked if I was from Scandinavia, which I totally loved. (My family comes from Norway!) but I said, "no, I'm from America". She laughed and waved her hand around saying, "America! You have lots of money! No problem!" I shook my head, apologizing, saying I only had 3 lats and I couldn't buy anything today. But she was right. If I really wanted those mittens I could have borrowed some more money from an American friend just a few feet away. Or I could have gone to an ATM and taken out some money. I wouldn't have gone broke from buying 6 lat mittens. We are so so rich.

After LIDO we drove the bus home, sleeping for half and having a crazy time for the other half, telling jokes, laughing, telling stories...it was tons of fun. I'm really going to miss these friends I have made. I really enjoy the Study Abroad group...they are so great!

I need to go do some homework now. I will write again another day. Viso gero! (goodbye!)

-Naomi


No comments: